hwango: (Default)
hwango ([personal profile] hwango) wrote2026-09-21 12:03 am

LJidol 20 Year - Week 1 - Open Topic

Hello, children. It's been quite a while since you've come to me for a story. I thought maybe all of the hostile signs, high fences, and secretly moving away to live in this even more secluded house in the middle the woods might have finally done the trick. I can see now what a foolish idea that was. Yes, yes, a story. I have just the thing.

Long ago, in a faraway land, there lived a wealthy man who was the patron of several poets, playwrights, and authors, purely out of a selfless love of the arts. Haha, just kidding, it was actually a tax dodge. But that doesn't mean that he didn't care if his little collection of artists produced anything or not. Quite the contrary, any of them who didn't have something to show for his money were soon cut off and left to either find alternate means of support, or else give up on their dreams and become gravediggers, highwaymen, schoolteachers, or some other such perilous or undesirable profession.

At the time at which our story discovers them, three of these wordsmiths shared a common problem - they were out of ideas. New ideas are notoriously difficult to come by, so they knew that they were in serious trouble. They discussed this crisis among themselves, and eventually concluded that drastic action was necessary. However, they disagreed on exactly what that action should be, and so they went their separate ways.

The poet went out into the wilderness to look for ideas in the boundless majesty of nature. He tripped over roots and rocks, was shouted at by numerous birds, and was nearly gored by an elk, but he found no ideas. He looked into caves, into flowers, and into the sky, but he found only bats, thorns, and a severe sunburn. The poet had expected that he might at least benefit from being exposed to so much fresh air, but it turned out that fresh air was full of pollen and bugs, and he found that it was not to his taste. He was on the verge of despair when he found himself at the shore of a beautiful pond. Here, at last, he managed to find a little inspiration, and he wrote a few lovely and insightful lines of poetry. Then he was eaten by a giant crab.

The playwright turned to science, thinking to create some new ideas from the base components of the universe. He obtained some wiggly glass tubing, a pair of enormous safety goggles, and a fashionable lab coat. When these did not immediately succeed in producing ideas, he expanded his arsenal to include a chalkboard, an oscilloscope, and a human skeleton with a little label for each of the different bones. He performed a number of experiments, and was delighted when it seemed that he had created some revolutionary new ideas. Alas, his knowledge of the scientific method was woefully lacking. After he published his results, the peer review he received was so overwhelmingly devastating that his own existence was determined to be statistically unlikely, and he vanished into the Margin of Error, never to be seen again.

The author decided to dig for ideas. He got himself a shovel, chose what seemed like a good place to start digging, and got to work. He accidentally dug up the burrows of various small furry things, unearthed several strange bones, and even excavated a few interesting old bits of pottery and a gleaming, blood-red gem that whispered impossible truths to him.

Lots of people are frightened by new ideas. This is often because change is scary, but sometimes it is because the new ideas come from a multifaceted shard of crystallized malice that was entrusted to the bloodline of some magical stoats centuries ago to keep it out of human hands.

No one knows what happened to the author, or where he might have gone, or what he might be doing there.

The lesson to be learned here is that there's an excellent chance that if your career in the arts falls through, and you end up making a living as a gravedigger, you might be able to start a profitable side business selling carefully labeled skeletons to scientists. That, and if you come across any elk on your way home tonight, you should run.

Now go away, all of you. There are some stoat-sized holes in my fences that I need to patch.

[personal profile] imafarmgirl 2026-09-21 11:47 am (UTC)(link)
This was cool. I love the inclusion of elk. I live at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and we get elk in our yard all the time. Seems no one ever includes mention of them in their writing though.

[personal profile] imafarmgirl 2026-09-22 07:12 am (UTC)(link)
We have had as many as thirty in our yard. It's crazy.

[personal profile] imafarmgirl 2026-09-24 03:05 am (UTC)(link)
Yeah and when it snows they bed down in the side yard. lol.
xyla: (Default)

[personal profile] xyla 2026-09-21 02:31 pm (UTC)(link)
but sometimes it is because the new ideas come from a multifaceted shard of crystallized malice that was entrusted to the bloodline of some magical stoats centuries ago to keep it out of human hands. this is my favorite sentence I've read in lji, probably ever.
scribblesinblue: a gift set of a blue quill pen with a reddish ribbon around it, an inkwell, and a box with a stylized lining (Default)

[personal profile] scribblesinblue 2026-09-21 05:02 pm (UTC)(link)
All of this is wonderful, but my favorite part is the fate of the playwright:

After he published his results, the peer review he received was so overwhelmingly devastating that his own existence was determined to be statistically unlikely, and he vanished into the Margin of Error, never to be seen again.

humanbeansradio: (Default)

[personal profile] humanbeansradio 2026-09-21 05:15 pm (UTC)(link)
This was fantastic. 😂 Clever, genuinely funny, and beautifully committed to its own absurdity from beginning to end. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
gardeningatnight: (Default)

[personal profile] gardeningatnight 2026-09-21 05:17 pm (UTC)(link)
I love your voice and your ability to weave strange fables of the absurd, yet true.
simplyn2deep: (Default)

[personal profile] simplyn2deep 2026-09-21 06:01 pm (UTC)(link)
This was delightfully unhinged from beginning to end. 😂 I knew I was in for something good when the narrator basically greeted the children with, “I moved into the middle of nowhere specifically to get away from you, and yet here you are.” Then we get an artistic patron whose generosity is actually a tax dodge, nature actively attacking the poet, and the poor man FINALLY finding inspiration... only to be eaten by a giant crab. Apparently, creativity is dangerous work.

But the playwright disappearing into the Margin of Error after peer review, which determined his existence was statistically unlikely, may have been my favorite part. 😂 And then, somehow, magical stoats guarding a crystallized shard of malice enter the story, and everything makes perfect sense because by that point, I had learned not to question anything. I especially loved that the supposed “lesson” has almost nothing to do with avoiding cursed gems and instead turns into career advice on selling skeletons to scientists. Also noted: if I encounter an elk, RUN. This story has taught me valuable life skills.
halfshellvenus: (Default)

[personal profile] halfshellvenus 2026-09-21 09:38 pm (UTC)(link)
Then he was eaten by a giant crab.
Ahahahaha! Boy, I've missed your writing. This was genius. :D
bsgsix: (Default)

[personal profile] bsgsix 2026-09-22 03:50 am (UTC)(link)
What hilariously absurd storytelling in the best, most entertaining way. You have such a voice in your writing; I honestly can say that your writing is such a standout because it's unique beyond measure. Also, the Margin of Error is so unrealistically REAL. I know what I mean by that, lol - I fully get this concept (maybe all writers do?).

Your current location also made me cackle, just as a side note.

This is excellent. <3
penpusher: (Default)

[personal profile] penpusher 2026-09-22 04:50 am (UTC)(link)
I can only state: sage advice is difficult to come by, but when you do, it's very worthwhile.
aggienaut: (Default)

[personal profile] aggienaut 2026-09-23 09:45 am (UTC)(link)
Sometimes the author finds that the act of digging for ideas is itself an idea ;)

Magical stoats! I've always thought "stoat" is one of those inherently funny words.
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)

[personal profile] ofearthandstars 2026-09-23 12:41 pm (UTC)(link)
I'm a big fan of the Margin of Error ending, but also appreciate the nod to the perilous and undesirable profession of school teaching, which is right alongside gravedigging and highwaymen!
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)

[personal profile] ofearthandstars 2026-09-24 02:29 pm (UTC)(link)
Thankfully schoolteachers are specially trained to carry around the sacrificial bloodworm antidote!
poppetawoppet: (Default)

[personal profile] poppetawoppet 2026-09-23 07:36 pm (UTC)(link)
High fives from degree in the arts job in health insurance corner
kandigurl: (Default)

[personal profile] kandigurl 2026-09-24 12:50 pm (UTC)(link)
You know, gravedigger is a career path I haven’t yet considered. I don’t know if my back could handle it, sadly! Thank you for the fun read!
ashelterofpages: (Autumn fox)

[personal profile] ashelterofpages 2026-09-24 11:25 pm (UTC)(link)
Okay, this was so charming and delightful. I loved the voice so much and it really made the piece work for me.
inchoatewords: a drawn caricature of the journal user, a brown-haired woman with glasses in a blue shirt, smiling at the viewer (Default)

[personal profile] inchoatewords 2026-09-25 12:08 am (UTC)(link)
Really enjoyed the voice here. I cackled a bit at getting eaten by a giant crab.
purplepetrichor: (Default)

[personal profile] purplepetrichor 2026-09-25 11:02 pm (UTC)(link)
That was great!
muchtooarrogant: (Default)

[personal profile] muchtooarrogant 2026-09-26 04:31 am (UTC)(link)
Crabs, and carnivorous margins, and multifaceted shards of crystallized malice, oh my! What an ill-fated group of artistic adventurers. Yup, much better to be a gravedigger I'd say. (grin)

Dan
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)

[personal profile] lapis_lazuli615 2026-09-26 03:13 pm (UTC)(link)
Aboslutely adore the lessons to be learned, and am all about the kids getting off my lawn. :)
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)

[personal profile] lapis_lazuli615 2026-09-27 12:48 pm (UTC)(link)
YES!